Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

A Halt, But Brief


Through the mercedes window,

Lowering the glass for a clearer view,

Sacrificing a few moments

Of ‘conditioned comfort’,

Watching as if it is a never before sight,

With all concern expressed

Conspicuously in eyes,

I look on,

During a traffic halt..


Windows written all over,

Interrupted here and there with cloth,

Peeping with anticipation as if into a treasury,

Picking with joy, as if it is gold and jewellery,

The bone and smiles boy yonder,

Is all that I am looking at..


Wondered many a times,

What he would carry in that sack,

With energy just enough to pull himself on,

What objects of importance is he pulling on..


A tear rolls the threshold of my eyes,

Cos the emotional threshold reached..

Questions crowd as to when this sight will disappear,

Anger builds against some anonymous body

Conveniently named society,

Frustration at the government,

Fury at the looters of law..


And I look at the boys face,

Flawless and promising,

The lean body, fatless and demanding..

A drive to let out my hand and pick him up,

Alas, but just then, the driver drove on..

The traffic light had cleared..


I look at the watch,

I am late by half hour!

And I curse the inefficient driver,

The ever late parlour girl,

The time consuming calls,

And the ever long traffic signal!


Ha thank God,

After all I was not very late,

The party had just begun

And the booze is still on..!

‘society and the poor’ is the running conversation,

and I butt in with my todays experience,

oh what an audience I commanded..!!

No comments: